The main objective of the exercise to issue the Citizen's Charter of an organisation is to improve the quality of public services. This is done by letting people know the mandate of the concerned Ministry/ Department/ Organisation, how one can get in touch with its officials, what to expect by way of services and how to seek a remedy if something goes wrong. The Citizen's Charter does not by itself create new legal rights, but it surely helps in enforcing existing rights.
- To develop administration that takes the citizens into total confidence.
- The basic objective of the Citizens’ Charter is to empower the citizen in relation to public service delivery.
- To ensure responsive, accountable, transparent and people friendly administration.
- Quality : Improving the quality of services.
- Choice : Wherever possible.
- Standards :Specify what to expect and how to act if standards are not met.
- Value: For the tax payers’ money.
- Accountability : Individuals and Organisations.
- Transparency : Rules/ Procedures/ Schemes/Grievances.